We took the kids to see Toy Story II on Sunday -- it was great fun. Japanese movies for kids come in subtitled and dubbed versions, for the obvious reason that kids can't read Japanese subtitles yet. My kids, who are bilingual, we wondering why there were only adults in the theater. Movie theaters are one area that's quite unique in Japan. After paying $18 per adult (or $10 per child) to enter the theater, you're shown some converted TV commercials (including the inevitable tobacco CM), before the movie starts. Many movie older theaters have their last showing at 6:00 pm, since Japanese apparently don't go to movies late at night that often. The new theater in Isesaki (which is owned by Sony) is very modern: the last showing is 10 pm.
Speaking of movies, Miyazaki Hayao's masterpiece Princess Mononoke is "coming home" to Japan -- shown in English with Japanese subtitles. Always happy to have one of their own recognized so highly outside of Japan, the trailer for the film was filled with footage of Miyazaki-sensei being cheered by fans in New York City. I'm looking forward to see Disney's adaptation of one of Miyazaki's best films -- especially to Scully as Moro the Wolf. (Incidentally, we do have some really nice Mononoke puzzles, please check them out!)
Tonight's update is a nice one, with lots of cool new items, including:
- The latest Urecco, which features Ayukawa Ami's "Fresh Nude" and Sakura Nana's "Special Shoot"
- A host of new photobook items, including Sendo Emi's lovely high school graduation photobook, excellent new photobooks for leg/skirt fetish fans, and more
- Fresh stock of two of J-List's best-selling items, Kusanagi Jun's "Last Nude Memorial" and Miura Aika's super 1999 photobook
- For fans of our $5 magazine sale, many excellent "back from the dead" issues of Urecco that were formerly sold out (see magazine page 3)
- Other excellent back--in-stock magazine and photobook items, including more copies of Photo Album 2, Cho Mach, Wonderful and Okay!!
- For fans of Japan's anime voice actresses or seiyu, we've added Voice Animage to our "reserve subscriptions" page -- get it every month!
- On the high-end bondage photobooks page, more copies of Sokubaku Press and more
- More of our cool Urecco back issues, for only $5 (see Magazine page 3)
- More copies of the popular funny Japanese shirt, Seiryoku Zetsurin ("matchless sexual power")
- For our loyal JPOP fans, a dozen new JPOP CD singles for you
- Finally, a great new update to our Japanese snacks page, including some uniquely Japanese items, including Milky Candy, Coffee Culture Candy, the classical Japanese delicious "Kuro-Ame, and Kaori's childhood favorite, Strawberry Milk Candy -- give them a try!
Remember, J-List offers convenient 6- or 12-month subscriptions to some of our best-selling magazines, including Urecco, Bejean, Gal's Dee, Gokuh, Video Boy, Best Video, and Dela Beppin. Why not get a subscription and have the latest issues sent to you before they're posted to the site, and get free issues, to boot?