I was recently asked what Japanese couples call in each other. Most couples refer to each other by either their names (Kaori, Tomokazu, Chiharu, etc.) or by cute, personalized nicknames that the Japanese seem to invent with ease. My nickname is "P-chan, although I was named after a Siamese cat my wife used to have, not after the famous pig from Ranma 1/2. Also used are two words for you" -- "anata" (used by women referring to their husbands or boyfriends) and "omae" (a rough, almost possessive word used by men to their wives/girlfriends, or to children). A man who uses "omae" to his wife or girlfriend is unconsciously stressing his possession of her, in very subtle tones.
Simple concepts like "you" and "I" can get quite complicated in Japanese. The basic word for "I" is "watashi, and this is what is used in formal settings (also as watakushi"). Girls get a cute version of this word -- "atashi" -- and good boys are supposed to use "boku." Rough and tough boys, as well as men who want to project their manliness, will use the men's word "ore" (oh-rey). Kenshiro, of Fist of the North Star, uses this term. For "you, the formal word is anata, but kimi" (a familiar word for use among friends) and the aforementioned men's words "omae" are a bit more common. A person's choice of what words he uses for "I" and "you" reveals much about his personality and self-image. A cute little girl will use the term "atashi" or "watashi" and play with Licca-chan dolls; young boys, such as my son, will experiment with acting tough by using the word "ore" (think of young Simba from The Lion King
We've got some very nice items for tonight's update, including:
- Lots of all-new magazines, including the beautiful new Ike Ike Magazine, the fun "violence photo magazine for men, as well as a new soap girl" magazine item and "Komadam Get!!" (for fans of girls in their 20's)
- For fans of the excellent Lucky Crepu, a truly wonderful Lucky Crepu Deluxe special photobook filled with excellent and lovely photos
- Fresh stock of the current Best Shot, a wonderful Photoshot-format "mook" featuring dozens of the most lovely faces in Japan, from popular idols to AV
- Many "oldie but goodie" photobooks, items that had been in stock before but sold out -- including Eichi Bauko's "HB, and Yoshino Sally's excellent Sally!" photobook
- A great selection of value-priced special-order videos in the popular "New Master Video" series, on the special order video page
- In case you didn't get enough manga in Monday's update, we've got another dozen or so all-new wonderful adult manga items, with some really excellent new items by some of Japan's most unique and talented hentai artists
- Finally, fresh stock of some of our most popular Japanese snack items, including Black Black (caffeine keep-awake gum), Lotte No Time (gum for when you have no time to brush), Super Cola Shigekix (super sour "hard gummi"), and more!
Remember that J-List has a great special -- any three English-language adult anime simulation games for $105, shipped. You can save up to $30 total -- that's like "buy 2, get 1 free." Check out our excellent offerings, now, on the hentai game pages.