There are some things from the U.S. that Japanese just can't handle. Mexican style beans are one -- Japanese nearly always hate these at first, until they get used to them, as beans in Japan are sweet. Another is root beer, which is detested universally by Japanese, who think it tastes like the muscle medicine "Salonpas" (similar to Ben-Gay). We brought some root beer back for Tomo from the U.S., and sure enough, he couldn't stand it. My son Kazuki loves it through, and was very happy. "I can drink root beer, I must be an American!" he said.
It's great fun watching all the nifty things that Japan comes up with. In Goods Press, a magazine that tracks everything that's trendy in Japan, from electronics to DVD players to men's shoes and the latest G-Shock watches from Casio, we always find cool things we want. Sony's come out with a portible phone that takes a memory stick, and doubles as an MP3 player. They've got color display for phones, including phones with a camera in the back so you can send your picture while you're talking. My favorite are the PHS (PCS) phones that jack right into your Powerbook's PC card slot, giving you 64 kbps of data transfer while on the road.
Tomo is happy -- he's got a new car, his first new car ever. It's a Honda Life, a cute "K" car (the word refers to the smallest class of car in Japan, which have an engine size of less than 1000 cc) that resembles the "one box" style that's popular in Japan these days. See a picture of it at http://www.jlist.com/shop/b6/tomoscar.jpg . The slogan used to sell this car is "Hondaful Life."
Well, for the weekend, we've got a great selection of new items for the J-List site for you, including:
- First, the excellent hardcover photobook of the new sensation in Japan AV, Oura Anna (also written Ohura Anna), the fantastic *I* cup lovely
- We've got several new magazines in, including the new issue of Beppin School, filled with lovely Japanese gals for your enjoyment
- The excellent "OL Woman Hunting" is on the photobooks page, for fans of OL rape-play
- Fresh stock of several of our popular photobooks, including more copies of the excellent Miyazawa Rie's "Santa Fe"
- Another magazine + CD-ROM combination item, DVD Heaven, with excerpts from dozens of currently popular DVDs (on the magazine page)
- Cosplay fans will enjoy Cosplay Angel, an anthology DVD with many excellent costume themes (stewardess, Sailor Moon, willing maid, and so on)
- From our good friends at Soft on Demand, an excellent new item -- "Insert vibrator into hole of panty" in which the lovely model Katayama Sarina has sex and enjoys the "Love Gun" through a hole in her panties (very, ah, interesting)
- We've got a major update to the adult manga page, with many nice new volumes from Hit, Ex, Fujimi Publishing, and more -- see the new releases page for these items
- Also on the manga pages (best sellers page), see the excellent manga volumes of the talented Tanaka Yutaka, who draws very romantic yet very sexual "boy meets girl" stories, without "dick girl" or weird themes
- Yaoi fans should check the new issue of Gust, a super 575 page yaoi dojinshi anthology for fans of these compelling themes
- For fans of the undying Godzilla, find a super camera/phone strap (also useful as a keychain) on the Anime Toys page
- For those who don't get enough vitamin C, we recommend the delicious C1000 Vitamin Lemon Candy, a tasty lemon candy made from real fruit juice
- Cool new items on our Wacky Things from Japan page include a fun oversized eraser, shaped like a fat pencil (for those who want to have cool things from Japan with them while they study), as well as a handy "wet suit" style case for your portable phone
- Finally, the ultimate item for anyone with small kids who hate shampoo -- a handy "shampoo cap" that goes over the top of your child's head, and effectively keeps shampoo out of their eyes. A great new invention from Japan!
Our stock of 2001 calendars is moving out nicely, and we're starting to run out of several of our titles. We still have many excellent anime calendars (Ruro ni Kenshin, Ah My Goddess, Evangelion, Gundam Wing), JPOP calendars (Hamasaki Ayumi, Max), idol calendars (Yuka, the lovely Mitsuya Yoko), and nude calendars (Kanazawa Bunko). Check out our remaining stock of excellent calendars -- thanks for your help!