While in Europe we saw many wonderful things, and some familiar things too, like Yakult yogurt drinks in supermarkets in Frankfurt, lots of Nissan Marches (called Micra in Europe), and just about any manga series you could want translated into German and Italian. We were also impressed with the need to take a second look at our children's language education. Many Japanese have a very strange idea of language learning, which I have a hard time understanding. In Japan, the only language that exists other than Japanese is English, which all Japanese study for six years (or up to ten if they go to college). They endlessly study the grammar and vocabulary of English without ever trying to put it to some actual use -- hence the Japanese insistence that "English" (grammar and vocabulary) and "English conversation" (using English in a communicative setting) are two completely different concepts. In my mind, it's much better to go out into the world with imperfect language skills and fumble to get your point across than endlessly studying grammar until the day when everything all magically comes together. My kids are bilingual in English and Japanese, but clearly this is not enough -- I hope to teach them at least one more language before they reach college age.
If you ever go to Narita Airport, the international airport serving the Tokyo area, you might not be surprised by security personnel who check your passport carefully before letting you into the airport. But these tight security measures weren't in response to September 11 -- they've been in place for 30 years. Back in 1966, when the Japanese government announced that the tiny village of Narita, Chiba Prefecture, about 30 km from Tokyo, would be the site of the grand new airport, locals were totally surprised -- no one had consulted them on the matter. Over the next decade, the farmers who lived on the land where the airport was to be built organized staunch resistance, refusing to be evicted from their land and getting help from the student movement of the late 60s and early 70s. The violent clashes between the demonstrators and Japanese police claimed several lives, naming the conflict "Japan's Vietnam," and lead to fears of urban terrorism by Chiba farmers, which is why the security measures were put in place. To this day, the final runway at Narita has yet to be completed, all because the last eight families refuse to sell their land to the government.
For the new update, we've got some excellent products from Japan for you. They include:
- First, for fans of the delightful Japanese idol Yuka, a very special item: a collection of actual color slides and a special viewer that allow you to see Yuka-chan in 3-D, as if she were right in front of you -- a very special collectors' item!
- We've got two new How to Draw Manga books for you too, for anyone wanting to learn to draw Japanese comics like the pros do
- Also, enjoy the lovely photobook of Yuki Ishikawa, a delightful Japanese swimsuit idol who looks great in her new photobook offering, as well as fresh stock of the dynamite Jelly-B photobook
- We've got some great items for Ultraman fans: deluxe plush toys that look great, and capture the super power of Japan's most famous rubber-clad television hero -- and the eyes glow in the dark!
- For fans of Japanese snacks, we've got some great items, including traditional Japanese-style candies, Astro Boy Ochazuke, sugarless breath mints from Japan, and delicious "soft grape candy"
- For our Totoro loving fans, we've got two new "Totoro Present Keychain Mascot" sets, which are really cute
- For Kitty fans, various new and restocked items, including a great Kitty gift bag
- We've got a cute Nico Nico Club brand travel toothbrush and cup, sure to bring a smile to your face
- For bento fans, a nice set of three disposable bento trays with lids and chopsticks, great for any outing
- For fans of the Hello Kitty massagers, which we recommend as excellent Christmas gifts, we've managed to restock the Deluxe Massager, the larger massager used for relaxing your shoulder -- the smaller Hello Kitty vibrating massager remains out of production and our stock is very low
- We've got fresh stock of the popular minty eyedrops from Japan, very cool!
- For anime fans who want something very special in their rooms, we've got a great 1/8 scale cold cast figure of Miyuki Kobayakawa from You're Under Arrest
- Finally, look for a great way to measure any part of your body, a great cloth bag that you can carry anything in, and other wacky things from Japan!
For our adult customers, we've got many new 18+ products. They include:
- First, we've got the new issue of the oversized adult magazine Bejean, filled with beautiful top-name Japanese stars including Alice Ogura, Sola Aoi, Sakura Shiratori and more
- Also, enjoy a deluxe new issue of Sennin Giri, the excellent kogal magazine featuring girls who have allegedly had sex with more than 1000 guys
- We've also got the new issue of Aishite Ageru ("I'll Love You"), featuring lovely amateur Tokyo girls in love hotels -- this issue specially focuses on girls who like to do it with virgin guys
- Our $5 magazines are always a popular item, and we've added some new stock for you to check out -- see magazine page 3 for the discounted items!
- For photobook lovers, enjoy the Erotic Photo Session with Eri Kitajima, photographs by Shin Yamagishi, as well as fresh stock of Alice Ogura's sweet nude photobook
- For hentai manga fans, we've got some great new books for you, including a great erotic work by Tachibana Seven, the all-girl/girl Lesbian Excellent, Tsukasa Comics' excellent Dogma 666, and more
- Also, a great restocking of popular manga volumes including Punky Night, Radical Vector, The Equation of the Immoral, Midara and more
- For our DVD customers, we've got some great items for you, starting with the bargain-priced re-release of Super Kibire Declaration by Mizuho Kanou, aka Jun Kusanagi (region free)
- Then, Aika Miura is back in a great bondage-themed erotic DVD (region free)
- Happy amateur Japanese girls experience their first bukkake, allowing men to blow their wads on their faces, bodies and even feet (region free)
- Then, from SOD's Chujitsudoh label, Asuka Sawaguchi will satisfy your curiosity in a great bukkake, cosplay, lesbian and anal sex offering for her fans (region free)
- From the excellent U&K Collection Series, we've got Lesbian Best Complete 2, another mind-boggling selection of the best lesbian sex from Japan's premier all-lesbian studio (region free)
- Then, the lovely Ai Nagase will be your virtual girlfriend, pleasing you in twelve different situations filmed with you in the point of view of her lover (region 2)
- Finally, we've got a bunch of restocked and price-reduced DVDs, including Anna Ohura's superb Tease Fetish Angles in Huge Boobies (um, love those titles the Japanese come up with for the DVDs), Lesbian Night, as well as anal, bukkake, all-lesbian, and other great DVDs for you!
Remember that J-List has hundreds of dynamite large-format 2004 calendars available, either in stock (for the calendars that have started to come in stock already) or for preorder. With so many fantastic anime, JPOP, swimsuit idol, actress, kanji, traditional and nude calendars to choose from, we know that you can find a fantastic 2004 calendar for your wall. And they make great Christmas gifts, too! To help you help us make calendar season a success this year, you get 15% off 4 or more calendars, too, along with free mailing tubes!