When you learn a foreign language, the first thing you usually learn are the "naughty" words. However, people studying Japanese are often surprised to learn that most of the bad words they're used to in English don't translate over very well. Popular Japanese insults include "baka" (BAH-kah, stupid), "aho" (AH-ho, which also means stupid), and "boke" (BOH-kay, it means "nim-wit"). Almost all the anatomical words you may be used to just don't work in Japanese, nor does the "F" word, which doesn't even exist, except occasionally in English as a foreign loan word. The most basic Japanese swear word is probably "kuso" (KOO-soh) which means "shit." It's not even a bad word in that if a child uses it in front of his parents, he'll get in trouble -- the word is used regularly in kids' anime like Yu-Gi-Oh, and no one thinks anything of it. It addition to the primary meaning, the word kuso can also refer to various bodily products. The stuff that comes out of your nose is hana-kuso (nose-shit), and ear wax is mimi-kuso (ear-shit). Sleep in your eyes that builds up while you sleep is me-kuso (MEH-kuso), and plaque on your teeth is called ha-kuso (teeth-shit). Now you know some interesting Japanese vocabulary words!
Among gaijin living in Japan and studying in Japan, the Canon Wordtank is a respected line of electronic dictionaries that make it easy to look up words and kanji through a standard keyboard. Wordtanks have many great features just for non-Japanese users, including English menus, the ability to save vocabulary words for later study, a "jump" feature that lets you look up Japanese words on the screen that you don't know how to pronounce, and more. I've had a long career with Wordtanks, and have owned several over the years. For all the time we've been running J-List, making all kinds of cool things from Japan available to you, we've wanted to carry this excellent product, but had not been able to find a distributor. Now I'm happy to report that we have -- and we now carry a great lineup of the Canon Wordtank dictionaries. See them on the newly-christened Japanese Study Aids category!
In addition to the excellent Wordtank dictionaries, we've also got another announcement: J-List carries great computer peripheral products from Japan, including the full line of beautifully designed computer mice by Shirow Masamune -- we've got all three colors in stock now! We've also gotten the excellent computer mice by Hajime Katoki, the mechanical designer of the Mobile Suit Gundam series. These fabulous computer mice work great with English Windows XP and Mac OS X, with no drivers needed. Because we know many collectors want these fabulous items, we've added a 15% discount for purchases of 3 or more of the mice.
For the new update, we've got some excellent products from Japan for you. They include:
For fans of delightful Japanese idols, enjoy a delicious dose of Yuko Ogura in a new photobook, featuring some of her best cute shots ever
- Fans of classic anime and video games will enjoy the artwork of Masami Obari in her new Super Design Works, creator of some of the most famous illustrations of the 1990's
- We love to carry anime related snack foods from Japan -- enjoy two varieties of Hamtaro furikake, and some delicious Tokyo Mew Mew cookies with stickers
- We also love the small-size toy + candy combo items that are popular in Japan these days -- see incredibly meticulous recreations of toys from Japan's past in a super Kitahara Collection
- Also: fresh stock of the sold-out Japanese Family Restaurant miniature full sets
- For fans of Japanese animation on DVD, we've restocked several popular items, including Laputa, Tokyo Mew Mew, Whispers of the Heart, and our all-time favorite, Lupin the Third ~ Caliostro's Castle
- For fans of classic anime by Tezuka Osamu, we've got very limited stock of some cool figures
- Also, a "standing pose" version of the Fox Squirrel (Kitsuna-Risu) from Laputa and Nausica, as well as fresh stock of the first Fox Squirrel, are in stock -- but they will go fast!
- Also, look for new and freshly stock foods from Japan including miso soup, Pocky and more
- For fans of Kiss Mint, the great chewing gum from Glico, we've got two new flavors of "Watering Mint" for you
- Japan is home of some of the cutest characters in the world -- see cute "Usako Friends" character goods in stock along with some nice new items for Hello Kitty/Sanrio fans
- Also, some cute bags that feature silly English on them -- great for fans of wacky things from Japan
- For fans of Japanese stationary supplies, some fun fragrant marker pens -- so cute
- For fans of funny English, we've restocked our popular Japanese notebooks with funny English
- Finally, look for happy face goods from Japan, a fun "fishbowl mascot" for you, fresh stock of authentic Japanese chopsticks for your bento boxes, fun train passes, Hello Kitty hot springs powder, and more!
For our adult customers, we've got many new 18+ products. They include:
- First, we've got great new adult magazines for fans of Japanese AV, starting with the new Urecco Gal, loaded with beautiful Japanese "kogals" just dripping with Tokyo street culture
- Also, enjoy new amateur and love hotel magazines with authentic Japanese couples
- Nao Oikawa is a sultry and beautiful AV star from Japan -- now see her in featured in a new issue of MPEG World, with two video CDs with 2 hours of great adult video samples for you
- We love Japanese photobooks, which feature hardback printing and great glossy pages -- see a new photobook featuring Hitomi Hayasaka
- For doujinshi collectors, a great new work parodying Lain, Evangelion, Tenchi Muyo and more
- We have a huge update of hentai manga for you, including great releases by some of Japan's most famous artists -- including the off-the-wall erotic comic Crash, Nothing More Can Be Done, with some of the most incredibly chic artwork we've seen in a long time
- Also, a nice update of back-in-stock books including Azuki Kurenai's runaway hit "Equation of the Immoral" as well as more Jet Joshi, Pururun Seminar, and more
- For DVD collectors, enjoy the great new products we've got for you, starting with a new No Cut!! release from Kuki, with 3 hours of superb sex by the lovely Hiyori Shiraishi (region free)
- Koharu Tohno is a popular small-bodied AV idol with a beautiful bird-like sex style -- see 240 minutes of her lovely eros in a new DVD from Allure (region free)
- See the soft lesbian sex of Kaori and Yuu, two girls who have a "rezu-tomo" (lesbian sex friend) relationship (region free)
- For fans of Bunko Kanazawa, see her new "Super Best" featuring two complete previous releases for a great price, by SOD (region free)
- Also very lovely, the "three days and two nights bukkake" performance of Rina Takase is not to be missed (region free)
- Finally, the fans of Waap have chosen their best erotic productions of that company, and now you can see them all -- with great stars like Mirai Hoshizaki and Aimi Yoshii and Lum Nagase, it's great! (region 2)!
Thanks to everyone who had preordered the JAST USA and Milky House Memorial Collections. Today I received my own copies of the games and have been playing them -- we're very happy with how they came out. The JAST USA games are especially close to my heart, and I hope people who haven't play the games but are interested in the detailed stories will give them a try, now that they're back in print and are fully compatible with modern Windows machines.
The J-Mate site (http://www.jmate.com) has been updated again, with reviews of Ganari Takahashi's best-selling compilation DVD, and a review (with many screenshots) of the popular bishoujo game, Kana ~ Little Sister. Don't forget to read the reviews in English with Japan's famous AV actresses.
Remember that J-List carries many items from Japan, which we group together as "wacky things from Japan." These range from unique character goods to things you can use to help learn Japanese to other items that, while they might not be necessities, are just plain cool (Hello Kitty toilet paper comes to mind). A lot of the items we sell are perfect for gifts, and Mayumi works very hard to keep the Wacky Things categories well stocked. We love selling these fun items, since it gives us a chance to actually bring you something cool that you can buy and touch and use, rather than just telling you about the neat things they have in Japan. Check out our excellent and wacky things from Japan, today!