My wife and I were invited to a party put on by the local chapter of UNESCO, which is the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, an international group similar to the Rotary Club -- older Japanese just love to be members of organizations like this. We were there to listen to amazing performances by two Japanese who had studied folk guitar in Spain and Argentina, and another American who played a mean jazz piano. I knew before going to the event that I'd be elevated to near-Guest of Honor status in the room simply because of my gaijinhood, and sure enough, we were seated at the most prestigious table with the musicians. While we ate and listened to the excellent performances, other guests engaged in what the Japanese refer to as "nomunication" (from nomu, to drink, and the English word communication) -- roaming around the room and pouring beer for others while you converse with them. You never pour your own beer in a social setting in Japan -- friends pouring each others drinks is an important social bond here. During the party, several of the more inebriated Japanese guests thanked me for my excellent piano performance -- they had confused me with the other American, who had had to leave after he was done playing for the group. I didn't correct them though. One of the unwritten rules of Japanese social drinking is, if you do something embarrassing while drunk, everyone else ignores what you did, pretending that it never happened.
At the party the mayor of our city popped in to give a quick speech -- through some odd twist of fate, we live next door to him, which makes our city sound a lot more like a hick town than it really is. The mayor had some happy news for us: our city was scheduled to grow past the 200,000 population mark this year (up from 140,000 ten years ago). This is an amazing achievement in Japan, which has one of the lowest birth rates in the world. Rural prefectures like Gunma constantly lose young people to the Tokyo area, causing a slow drop in the population of most rural regions of the country. The more rural the area, the worse the situation can be. Tomo lives in a small town in the mountains called Omama, population 22,000, where there are almost no children at all. Near his house, there's an elementary school with 35 students -- not 35 students per class or per grade, but 35 students in all six grades. Some factors contributing to our city's rise in population include low cost of living compared with other cities, access to good shopping, and a new freeway extension that opened a few years ago.
For fans of Japan's dating-sim games, in which you interact with pretty anime girls in a multi-path story, we've announcing preorders two hentai games without the hentai, great simulation games which you can play on any standard DVD player. They are Day of Love (romantic love-sim) and Amusement Park (you must operate an unprofitable amusement park with the help of several beautiful female characters). Preorder them now and get free shipping when they come in stock! Both titles are scheduled to ship in February.
For the new update, we've got some excellent products from Japan for you. They include:
- First, for fans of Evangelion, we've got a great pre-painted anime statue of Asuka Souryu Langley from Kotobikiya, it's great
- For fans of our Japanese snacks, we've got delicious Strawberry Kit Kat treats sold only in Japan, tasty and healthy "baby senbei" for little ones, chocolate covered gummi bears, and more
- Also, a great item for fans of Disney's classics: chocolate eggs with Disney toys hidden inside
- For fans of beautiful swimsuit idols and Race Queens, we've got a new Special Box of trading cards from Movic
- We've got a nifty wallet for you from Japan, complete with a place to put your train pass
- Japanese like to collect extremely realistic erasers -- we've got several sets of erasers for you, including fruits, desserts, sushi and more
- For Domo-kun fans, look for fresh stock of several really cool items, including the plus Domo-kun square toys, which look great in any room!
- When we posted the Sony Aibo robot dog toys last week, we didn't expect our stock to sell out in one weekend, but it all went with incredible speed -- through the hard work of Daisuke, we've restocked our full sets of this great toy line
- For your car, a nifty way to hang a trash bag anywhere -- hold chips inside the car, too!
- In Japan, many people smoke, but smokers try to exercise good manners -- this is called "Smokin' Clean." We have a cool portable ashtray for anyone who wants to follow their good example
- For something more traditional, we've got a wacky and fun Japanese mask that you can put on at parties
- For fans of the really cool "StitchLock" devices, which knit sheets of paper together so that you never need staples, we've restocked all varieties of these unique Japanese items
- Finally, look for the best disposable chopsticks you'll ever find, more wacky Japanese signs for your room, a neat all-wood pencil/pen case, more great toothbrushes from Japan, and many more items!
For our 18+ customers, we've got many new products. They include:
- For fans of great adult magazines from Japan, we've got the new Yasashiku Shite Ne (Be Gentle With Me), featuring real amateur girls having sex in love hotels and public places
- Then enjoy the new Aishite Ageru (I'll Love You), another great hardcore work featuring the erotic sex of couples
- We've got a great photobook/poster book f or Yuko Ogura fans, featuring her sexiest and most wonderful photographs ever
- Also, for fans of incredibly beautiful Russian nude idols, see the great hardcover photobook Doll, featuring the lovely bodies of Dasha and Masha
- We've got the excellent Yellows nude photobooks, a truly special item for collectors -- however the current stock is all that will be available, as the books have gone out of print
- We've also restocked the dynamite photobooks of Kaoru by Aida Garo, Miki Komori's erotic and very flexible photobooks, Yinling's dynamite Demonstration Clinic photobook, super leg fetish photobooks and more
- For hentai manga fans, we've got some great new works, including a sexual fantasy by Seiji Aura, an anthology of hentai manga with glasses fetish, a great maid fetish work, and more
- We have more all-new erotic doujinshi for you, from Japan's most talented hentai artists -- see them before they sell out!
- Fans of Yui Toshiki, one of the most famous and celebrated hentai artists of our age, we've finally gotten fresh stock of Yui Shop 4, backordered for so long
- Also, fresh stock of several great doujinshi that we'd sold out of (including Tohru Furuya's busty works)
- For our DVD customers, we've got some great new works for you, starting with 4 Hours with Kyoka Ayana, the amazing new busty starlet who has come out of nowhere to take pole position in Japan's AV world (region free)
- Then for fans of bukkake, see the lovely Runna Sakai in a major performance, from Soft on Demand (region free)
- Also, lots of les action inside crowded trains for you, from SOD's Natural High label (region free)
- Then enjoy a superb bukkake of the Semen Club, featuring Nana Mizuki's memorable performance, by Waap Entertainment (region 2)
- Then prepare for a great time as Ami Ayukawa debuts in her first indies adult release, showing the "super angle of oppai," one of the most amazing breast-fetish works we've ever seen (region 2)
- Finally, we've got a volley of various restocked DVD titles for you for fans who still want to take advantage of our special January DVD sale (which is almost ended...).
Do you like Japanese snacks? Remember that J-List carries hundreds of unique and delicious snacks from Japan, from chocolate-covered Pocky sticks to Gummi sushi to traditional Japanese treats you can't find outside of Japan. Take a moment and browse our extensive selection! Remember that we don't carry chocolate products like Pocky in the hot summer months (they melt). But now is a great time to buy!
The Internet is being bombarded with spam and viruses this week -- we're spending more time than usual deleting all the junk that comes into our mailboxes. If you ever receive virus mails from a jlist.com web address, it didn't actually come from us, but from another person who happened to have us in their address book. Because of all the problems with spyware, worms and viruses on the various Windows platforms, J-List runs only Macs.